Visit my Website for all the blurbs, excerpts and news!!

Visit my Website for all the blurbs, excerpts and news!!
Visit my Website for all the blurbs, excerpts and news!!

Tuesday 27 March 2018

Fëanor - a pencil sketch

Been doodling a bit with my pencils.
I love this dark, dark, rebellious, scowling, gloomy Fëanor, brooding and selfcontained within his own storm.




"Fëanor - Spirit of Fire"
Graphite Pencil,
35x50 cm 
© Katherine Wyvern 2018

"For Fëanor was made the mightiest in all parts of body and mind: in valour, in endurance, in beauty, in understanding, in skill, in strength and subtlety alike: of all the Children of Ilúvatar, and a bright flame was in him."
The Silmarillion, Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor
I always thought that if there was ever an elf who could sport a mohawk, that would be Fëanor, for sure, the Noldor's very own enfant terrible. Plagued with insufferable pride and a rebellious spirit, but the most talented and creative of all the elves ever spawned, I feel a more than a little fondness for him.

There are many illustrations of Fëanor, but they all seemed pretty bland to me. When I saw this dark, brooding selfportrait of Danila Kovalev, I knew it was the Fëanor I was looking for.

 Faber Castell - Graphite Pure HB to 9B

 I had this idea that between the his "Spirit of Fire", and the fact that the first elves were born in a dark world before the Sun and the Moon were created, Fëanor could perhaps have shiny eyes, like a cat.
It was my husband who mentioned the likeness with Riddick. Well, "You are not afraid of the dark, are you?"


I can claim very little credit for this picture. All the beauty, intensity and elegance were already in the original photo of (and by) this amazingly gorgeous, talented and kind model.

No comments:

Post a Comment